Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flight of the First Day

Alarm clock…snooze.

Alarm clock…snooze.

Alarm clock…2 feet on the floor.

Shower…thank goodness for hot water. Bathrobe. Hair wound tightly in a towel.

Two kids systematically running around the house making breakfast for themselves…hallelujah!

Empty lunch box on the counter.  Slap peanut butter and fluff on 2 pieces of bread and bag it up.  Bag goldfish. Wash apple. Granola Bar. Rinse, cut up, bag and LIGHTLY salt celery. Ice pack. Juice Box. Water bottle.

“Do you have your binders?”
“Yes, Mom”

 “Do you have your bus directions?”
 “Yes…”

 “Do you have ALL of your football gear?”
 “YES, Mom.”

 Write a check to be added to the hot lunch account.

Take a few pictures with fresh, clean back to school clothes, crisp back-packs and freckled, lightly tanned ‘little’ faces with evidence of past peeling noses.

Watch them walk down the driveway to catch the bus. Hesitate and stifle the desire to throw shoes on and walk with them. Notice the chill in the air.

Wave goodbye. Tug. Heart strings.

Get dressed, make up, blow dry, straighten. Prepare dinner in the crock pot.

Drive to work.  Watch other people’s children get on their school buses with clean sneakers and neon laces and fresh haircuts.

Coffee. Two cups.

Work a full day in a dental practice complete with “Why is my bill so high?”, “I forgot about my appointment.” and “I love my new smile…thank you.” Computer needs to be restarted twice. Boss needs to be redirected once. All the while wondering…how are the kids and their first day of school?

Punch out. Drive 15 miles. Pick up one child from school. Unplanned stop for more school supplies, just announced today.  Pick another child up from football practice. Reluctantly stop again for more school supplies, just added to the list.

Home for Crockpot dinner. Learned that Joseph is 2 inches taller and Morgan has a new horse.

The first day of school assessment: Two big thumbs up. Wait…what?

Paperwork.  Oh, paperwork.  General Information, Emergency Forms, Parental Permission Slips, etc. Read school handbook…again.

Dishes.

“What will I wear tomorrow?”

“I think I will use my old backpack instead of my new one.”

“Mom, how much laundry detergent do I use to wash my football uniform?” (there isn’t enough laundry detergent on the planet, my dear.)

Laughter, chatter, laundry…

Freshly showered daughter with wonderfully fragrant hair. One of my favorite smells.

Cuddle.

A warm bear hug from my teenaged son.  He still kisses me, without prompting. My heart smiles.

Goodnight, I love you.

Goodnight, I love you.

I am proud of you both.

Quiet…

How quickly things move. 

How grown up they have become.

How important some things are…

How trivial some other things are…


2 comments:

  1. This is so true. I feel like I relate to each of your posts, and I look forward to reading them because I enjoy it immensely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I have missed these comments in the past. Thank you Smack! Your support means so much!

    ReplyDelete